Here are some notes from the Youtube video Maximize Learning At Conferences & Meetups with Joe Eames with Brooke Avery and Joe Eames.
What do community gatherings offer?
The atmosphere creates a zeal that cannot be replicated from home.
If you want to get better at something, get involved in the community.
This creates opportunity.
- leave work at home
- stay and engage until they kick you out
- be involved
- showing up is 90% of the work
What should you do if you’re an introvert?
- try 1-on-1
- participate in the activity (which can act as a frame for the social interaction)
- put down your phone
- be available
- other people will approach you, if you show up
- “think and share”
- take analog notes of keywords, so you can look it up later
- don’t use digital tools (to avoid distractions)
- take home new ideas
- talk about what you want to learn, so others can help you
- if you can, attend in person (offline)
- a good place to “learn to teach”, as the barrier is low